Sunday 24 October 2010

A monstrous threat





The habitual peace and tranquillity of a garden refuge for abandoned cats is suddenly shattered by the piercing shriek of a small male child. Urgently pushing his greasy face up against the fence he tries to force his stubby, fat fingers through the mesh holes.

“Urghh. Urgg.” He grunts.

And then more urgently, “Eeeeerg. Urrrrrrrrrg.”

The three cats who had been dozing in the quarter hastily retreat behind the nearest tree.
Boy lets out a frustrated howl, letting his jaw drop down to his chest, revealing a fowl mouth of yellowing teeth.

“Muuuuuuuuuuum. Muuuuuuuuuuuuuum. I want a cat. I want that cat. Give it to me nooooooooooooow. I want it now.” He jabs one thumb in the direction of unsuspecting Vania, a gentle black giant who leaps away in horror.

Mum chips in “It’s ok darling. Don’t cry my precious.”

She calls out through the fence. “Hey! Yeah, you. You over there! You giving these cats out? I’ll take that one. That ugly black thing.”

Boy interrupts “Give it to me noooooooooow. Muuuuum. Tell them to give it me noooow.”

Vania turns his back on them and calmly stalks away to the far side of the garden. He sits proudly with his back turned, cleaning his face. Suddenly he pounces an unsuspecting fly. Then he returns to his washing routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment